Hyde Park History

According to Cincinnati Days in History Published by the Cincinnati Post, "Hyde Park was a rural community, owned almost entirely by 3 settlers until narrow-guage rail lines were laid in the later 19th century, linking it with Cincinnati.  Mornington Syndicate, a group of 8 real estate developers, saw the potential of Hyde Park as a suburb. They named it after Hyde Park, New York, which had an elegant reputation.  It was incorporated as a village in 1896."

"Along with several other communities, Hyde Park was annexed by the city of Cincinnati in 1903. One of its landmarks, the University of Cincinnati's Observatory, was moved there from Mt. Adams after John Kilgour, president of the Cincinnati Street Railaway, donated four acres and $10,000 to help pay for the move to suburban seclusion on Observatory Place in 1873."

For more information and blogs about neighborhoods in Cincinnati, visit our Cincinnati Neighborhood Section.